June 4, 2011

Knit Skirt





Ok, well I will break the awkward silence.
So I'm not really a swim shorts type of person, but when I go to the beach, I like to have a comfy skirt or dress to pull over my swimsuit when I'm not swimming. Nobody likes there thighs hanging out all day, right? So I found this really soft stretchy fabric at SAS and knew I could make something out of it.
I ended up just making a little skirt and it was SO easy. Stretchy= NO zipper NO elastic NO hemming!!!

There's no need for a pattern, because it's all relative to the size of your waist or hips (wherever you want the waistband to sit). This is basically what you will cut out:

To measure your waist/hips, just take a strip of the fabric you will use and pull it around you until it feels comfortable. You don't want it too loose or too tight. Obviously.
You can also change the width of the band, but mine was about 9" (you will fold this length in half). ok, ok, directions:

1. Make your measurements, do the math, cut out your pieces

2. Do a running stitch along the top of the bigger rectangle and gather

3. Fold the waistband piece in half hot dog style (making it skinnier)

4. Pin the band to the skirt like this:


Band upside-down, raw edges all at the top

5. Sew the raw edges together using a zigzag or stretch stitch. Using a normal stitch= bad news!

6. Rip out the running stitch (the one you used to gather the skirt)

7. Fold the skirt in half, right sides together, and sew up that open side-- you can use a straight stitch now.

You're done!


This skirt is great, because you can make it as long/short as you want and use it for little girls or yourself.

side note: Most knits are much stretchier one way. Make sure the waistband is going around your waist the stretchy way, so you can pull it on and off.

1 comment:

The Creative Miss W said...

From your post i'm under the impression that you used a normal sewing machine.Is that right? just asking because I've not had too much success with knits and most seem to require an overlocker.it would be great if I could do this just with my regular sewing machine