June 14, 2011

A Sunday Skirt

 One time I found this great muumuu/nightgown thing at DI. I was attracted to the print and lightness of the fabric, so I bought it in hopes of making something(s) out of it one day.
Two months later, I actually did it! Here's the process..



 I pretty much just cut the thing in half where it would be the length I wanted it



Then I did a running stitch along the top and gathered it.


 I gathered until it was the same length as a piece of elastic the length of my waist and pinned the elastic on.


I sewed the elastic on using a zigzag stitch,  pulled out the running stitch and ....

Tada!

 No hemming, because I used the hemline of the original dress. Hooray for laziness!


And today's ANTM shot for the full effect. 


I love it! Anddd, I could still make something out of the top!

7 comments:

Lissa said...

Awesome! I love that print!

Amber said...

Ever since you remade that other dress from DI, I have looked for the perfect thing to remodel- haven't found it yet, but once again you have inspired me. Cute skirt!

KatCarey said...

Hi I saw your refashion on refashion coop and clicked over here to see the more detailed instructions and was really surprised by how simple it was!
I am currently working on a project myself - compiling a book about 'refashioning your wardrobe'. I was wondering if maybe you would be interested in contributing to this project. Would you mind sending me an email at carey.katrina@gmail.com and I can give you some more details? Or alternatively if you give me your email I can send them straight to you.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is looking great - the original has such fantastic fabric. Can't wait to see what you make with the top!

BluBabesCreate said...

Cute! Come see a mens dress shirt turn into a skirt!

Unknown said...

totally gorgeous! love that print too!

~selina

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

This skirt fabric is beautiful! I would love to find something similar.

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog