January 20, 2013

Pattern Review: Simplicity 2599

I made this top using the Simplicity Pattern 2599.


This pattern is a really great, basic pattern.  It is good for people who are just learning to sew, because there are no buttons or zippers- hooray!  It is also amazing for those who like to experiment with altering patterns.

For my top, I started by cutting the bodice front and back.  I decided to taper the width of the bodice from under the darts to the bottom hem to make the top less baggy.

I wanted the sleeves to be a little longer with a band and have a little puff to them.  I traced the sleeve pattern on tissue paper, and added a couple inches to the bottom.  Then, I followed  this puffy sleeve tutorial.  Anyone else instantly think of Anne of Green Gables when they say or hear "puffed sleeves"?

I topstitched some trim on the front bodice piece before I sewed the front and back bodice pieces together.  I also sewed trim on to the sleeve bands.

I would love try and make this pattern into a cute shift dress- just and width and length to the bottom of the pattern.  It would also like to try it with some of the cute collar tutorials that are out there.

WARNING: This pattern did seem to run a little large, so make a size or two smaller than the measurements recommend.  Even after I tapered in the width, the top is a little boxy.  I will be sure to go down an extra size next time.

If you have tried this pattern, or decide to in the future, we want to see your finished product!!  What did you think of the pattern? What changes did you make?



No comments: